24.6.13

Happy Occasions

As reality settles in and the soldiers make an uneasy peace with the months to come, they take pinpricks of light and bask in their glow.

The wife of one soldier had a baby last week and the command gracious allowed the soldier to go on an emergency leave to be with his wife and baby (he also has a toddler boy). The soldier sent me pictures from the hospital, where he stared peacefully out the window as his baby girl curled up on his stomach. When he came back, I told him that his baby girl is beautiful. He said, "No, she's perfect."

He has been all smiles the past few days. Everybody, despite their growing unease, has rejoiced with him.

Another one of my soldiers will be getting married by the justice of the peace in the next week. He wanted to know if I could participate (I can't because I have a date with a little lady and a baby!), but I suggested that if his wife-to-be gets here early, we hold an informal religious celebration of his upcoming marriage. If he can confirm this arrangement, then several soldiers are at the ready to help make preparations. The soldier is incredibly excited by the idea and told me that he will have an answer by tonight.

For many weeks now, we have all shared in each other's sorrows. We grieve the separation from families and the resulting hardships. Together we grieve; together we celebrate.

Love. Life. As we prepare to walk through the valley, these peaks become our points of nostalgia as well as our destination.