10.10.13

Home, Sweet, Dusty Home

At the last minute, I finally able to make a brief excursion back to my original post this morning.

I enjoyed weaving through its labyrinthine corridors to visit various soldiers of mine scattered throughout the post. It was a pleasant reunion and I was able to find out how people are faring. A group of people there have continued the No BS BS and one of my buds has continued to coordinate the half marathon series, to great effect.

Every so often, soldiers get a whiff of home--just some random trigger that provokes a flood of seemingly mundane memories that makes soldiers yearn for their previous life.

Recently, I have thought of the following things:

1) A crisp, original chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A. No sauces, just the pickles.

2) Viewing and running around in green grass, like the sort that populates the park near my home.

3) Running on a course of my own, not bound by rolls of barbed wife.

4) Driving a vehicle with ample air conditioning, the freedom to roll down a window, and knowing that there is no suspicious devices around you, suspicious people on cell phones, or explosive-packed vehicles waiting to barrel toward you in an intersection.

5) A glass of wine. Nothing fancy. Just cheap, tasty Whole Foods wine.

6) Sitting under the preaching of the Word and knowing that you will hear the Gospel preached.

7) Going for dates with my wife and playing with my boy!

Of course, contrary to the saying, home is not where your heart is. Your heart should be where home is. And my home is being prepared for me even now by Jesus Christ. May my heart be set there.