16.4.14

Scripted, Unscripted, Semi-Scripted: The Dilemma of Preaching



If you ask three pastors whether they use a manuscript, notes, or nothing, you'll likely get three different answers. Some may even feel quite strongly about their method, following the custom of some to grow unnecessarily opinionated about a relatively unimportant issue.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to each method, and will mention a few for each. Before I do, however, let me get a few qualifiers out of the way:

1) Methodology does not matter as much as the message, which is God's address of His people with His Word. All other issues are peripheral to the fact that God is speaking to us.

2) The "correct" methodology does not change the fact that preachers--to a man--are sinners saved by grace, just like people in the pews. A great delivery only goes so far. It's all about grace.

3) Christ is the focal point of the Scriptures and He must always be the focal point of preaching. The methodology of preaching means little if Christ, and Him crucified, is not proclaimed.

Manuscript. One of my mentors uses manuscripts when he preaches. The strength of such an approach is that is helps preachers to be careful in their handling of God's Word. There also need not be any awkward pauses or unfortunate gaffes. The weakness of such an approach is that it doesn't allow for creative thinking on the fly (Hey--this is something the people struggle with? Wait--this reminds me of another important passage that casts additional light on this matter.) It also tends to diminish a natural ebb and flow of emotions that correspond to the sermon, as well the eye contact that is so necessary to building a rapport and maintaining the attention of congregants.

Notes. This is where most preachers end up. Whether it be a several page extended outline, or a note card with a few essentials, the majority of pastors love having something to lean on, but not dominate their focus. The strength of this approach is in the freedom it allows a pastor to "roam" a bit, as well as the ability to maintain eye contact. At the same time, it leaves something to fall back upon if their is a mental block or something of that sort. The weakness comes in the fact that freedom with the tongue can often result in apologizing with the tongue. And even this freedom is not complete, and can still hamper the delivery and flow.

Nothing. This is the most risky method of delivery, but with great risk comes great reward. The reward comes, in part, before the sermon, for the preacher must potentially spend much more time laboring through the passage and owning it in order to establish his ability to faithfully communicate God's Word. It also tends to require a few rehearsals, in order to make sure that there are no glaring holes that can't be covered by a few notes on-hand. It also allows for continual eye contact and maximum flexibility. The weaknesses are substantial as well. If a preacher loses his place, or becomes discombobulated, he has nothing to fall back upon. It could prove quite disastrous. Also, the tendency to say something sloppy or offensive is maximized.

I did not reach my present method of preaching through any deliberative decision-making. I was taught to have a large-print introduction and conclusion, as well as one page of notes for each point I was making, in seminary. In my first real internship, I was required to preach from a manuscript at least once, though I was much more comfortable with my extended outlines.

One Sunday, just before I got on the road to do pulpit supply at Sterling Presbyterian Church, my printer broke. I had to condense all of my notes onto a single page of scribbles. I had numerous people tell me that I had never preached better. So I started reducing my outlines to my key points, with a few notes alongside, committing the rest of the material to heart.

I think it was a few months later when the printer broke again (we just bought a new printer after several years of enduring this), and due to the hectic race to get to the worship service in time, I didn't really have time to put together any notes, but since I had already typed up my key points, I could remember them. And so began my pattern of typing of a one page outline, anchored around my main point of the passage and several supporting key points, and then leaving the outline at home. I preach to myself several times throughout the week, especially when I'm out on the road.

I have been bitten by this approach a few times, like when I was emotionally rattled during my first Sunday back. But all in all, it allows me to engage the material with more thorough preparation and engage the people with greater empathy. For the time-being, in God's providence, this seems to work best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment