12.10.15

The Smell of Grace



I signed up to attend the local Toastmasters club on Meetup.com. I knew that Toastmasters give people the opportunity to practice and grow in public speaking and hoped that I might have an opportunity to give some glimpse of the Gospel to folks from the community.

Just before the meeting, I had dinner with an older member of the congregation--a passionate evangelist--and he had once been in Toastmasters. He told me that one exercise they may do is take a random topic chosen for the night and ask for volunteers to speak on that topic.

I arrived in the back room of a local pizza place, where about 20 people were gathered. I tried to make small talk with others in the few moments between speeches. An hour into the meeting, I wondered whether I had chosen the wrong venue to take a stab at outreach.

Then the random topic was announced: Potpourri. I didn't know how the format worked, so the lady who introduced the topic called upon someone to to talk about potpourri. She then asked for a volunteer and I thought "What the heck!" and volunteered.

I said something along the following lines (though not nearly as polished--I was later told I said "Uh" five times!).

"When I think of potpourri, I think of the smells, the sights, the sounds of this world in its original beauty. I think of the glory of this Creation and the world as it was meant to be.

I am a soldier, and when I deployed, it didn't smell like potpourri. It smelled like exhaust and chemical-laden burn pits, and figuratively, carried the stench of death. Potpourri also reminds me of the sweet scent used to cover the smell of death.

When I think of potpourri, I think of a world without these things. I think of a world where burn pits are filled, deserts are turned into gardens, and every tear is wiped from our eyes. I look forward to that day."

Was I too abstract? Too morbid or sentimental? I don't know. There is nothing polished about sharing the Gospel. I am a sinner trying to communicate biblical truth with other sinners. I appreciate the fact that it was noted that I said "uh" five times. My weakness was clearly exposed! I hope and trust that God showed His strength in my obvious weakness. At least I am doing this now rather than just talking about it.

Afterward, I met a number of people including a few fellow believers from different denominations. I handed a few of my old cards from Sterling. Still riding my extroverted social high, I gave a cheerful goodbye to the gals working in front of the restaurant and started kicking myself as soon as I got to the car, thinking I should have tried to talk to them a bit.

I then realized that I forgot my Toastmasters folder and went back in to grab it and found myself in a good conversation with four or five of the workers at the place. I told them about Falls Presbyterian and invited one of them in particular to come. I acutely felt the emptiness of my pocket, devoid of any current business cards or church invitation cards. I won't make that mistake again. They will be on the printer by the end of the week.

In any case, one of the gals was interested in visiting the church. She was convinced we have a sign with constantly changing messages in front of the church (we don't). I just continually repeated the intersection--"We would love to see you at Falls Church at the intersection of Pilgrim and Good Hope!" I hope she comes.

Please pray for these continued endeavors, dear friends. And may our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, be known and loved by more hearts and confessed by more tongues!

1 comment:

  1. Good show. Thanks for sharing. My brother, who is a pastor, joined TM and got to know a bunch of people and share the good news with them. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete