21.12.15

Another Crazy Weekend



On Thursday, my wife got a flat tire. We have been all over the road ever since!

A dear sister from the church drove Lindsey and Tabby back to the house and drove me back to the car. I got there at the same time as the tow guy, who turned out to be a member of the Wisconsin Army National Guard, and we enjoyed a good chat as we put on the spare. On the way home, a member of a local political party invited me to come give a prayer for a gathering in which packages would be put together for deployed soldiers.

On Saturday, I prayed for the assembled gathering just before the senior Senator from the state of Wisconsin gave some off-the-cuff remarks. Our retired pastor saw my face on a local TV report on the gathering. More importantly, I was able to reach out to a number of former vets and even met a chaplain who served half a century ago! Sadly, I had to throw my business card at him as I raced home to tend to my sulky son, who was happily rehearsing for his first ever Christmas play.

Later that day, over 40 people joined us for a housewarming party. Just over 20 people came from the church, and just under 20 from the community. People from all walks of life, engaged in conversation. Beautiful! My wonderfully-introverted wife put on a Martha Stewart-like spread, and engaged folks for 5+ hours (after wrestling with the sulky son earlier in the day).

One neighbor is a recent widower and lives alone. I really hope we become close with him. I can't imagine what life would be like without my wife and little ones. Our God is so gracious to those so bereaved! May this dear man be like Anna after her long years as a widow, or Simeon when his old eyes finally beheld the Christ-child (Luke 2)!

Late in the night, I did one final run through of the second part of our "Gospel According to Ruth" series at the church. I preached on our dear sister, Ruth (from the Old Testament, between Judges and 1st Samuel), who knew the pain and brokenness of the Christian life, yet was sustained by grace through faith in Christ until she arrived in the heavenly fields of Boaz. I needed conviction and comfort from that precious passage of God's Word as much as anyone!

Last night, I watched my little boy perform in his first Christmas play. He was nearing bedtime, and mussed his hair in his fatigue. He was also surprisingly subdued, watching his flamboyant girl-friend twirl her dress through every him. And I loved every minute of it.

This was the same boy who cried in my ear as a newborn. Those same cries were haunting echoes to me as I missed most of his first year of life and the attendant joys of those many "firsts." I remember saying goodbye to him when he visited Ft. Hood with my wife, wondering if I would ever see him again. His pictures were taped all over my walls in Afghanistan. I remember the first night I saw him in Baltimore, grinning at me. That night, I turned in bed to see him standing and staring at me.

I am now a father with growing kids and I cannot wait (though I do so with natural fear and trepidation) as they grow in knowledge of and love for the Lord. May he learn through God's tender shepherding what it took me numerous hard providences to learn. May he grow in grace without the grief that finally broke me of just a few of my idols. May God give me wisdom as I join my wife in shepherding this young boy and his baby sister. We have frail hands and faint hearts. But we also have a faithful God.

Tired. Spent. Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment