31.3.16

Encouraging Signs

When I preached this past Friday night, two of my friends from Toastmasters came (a married couple who serve as leaders for the group). They normally attend a Unitarian Universalist church, and though I preached a sermon that dealt with mankind's hatred of God and sole hope in Jesus, they came away with glowing praise and told other folks at Toastmasters about the visit.

Speaking of Toastmasters, our next meeting was the following Monday. I gave a speech entitled "Is Christianity in Decline?" based on a blog post I wrote about that topic earlier in the week. After the meeting, I struck up a conversation with my waiter and we talked for about 30-40 minutes. He grew up in a legalistic church, went off to UW-Madison for college and left Christianity behind, and has since been struggling to put his life back together alongside his girlfriend. She is pregnant.

They are potentially looking for a church, but a place where they will not be judged and ridiculed. The faith of their youth continues to testify to the God of grace, but they doubt whether there is room in the heart or church of Christ for them. I had coffee with the young man today and tried to walk him back through the man-centered, works-oriented Christianity of his youth and redefine all he learned in light of Scripture. They will hopefully come to our church on Sunday. Please pray!

Yesterday, as I ordered a cup of coffee at a local bakery and awaited a dear brother in the faith to debate the issue of baptism, the woman at the counter looked at me and said "You're a pastor, right?" "Yup." "Could you see if anyone needs a part-time job in our bakery? We need somebody." "Sure, I'd love to get the word out."

"By the way, I'm having a hard time right now." "Why's that?" "I grew up Catholic and raised my first daughter in the church, but didn't raise my second daughter in the church and don't really go anymore. My parents are made at me. And now my younger daughter wants to know what I believe and why we're not going to church."

"Children often ask us the questions we really don't want to answer. Maybe it's time to think over these things and evaluate if this Christianity thing is actually true for your daughter's sake and yours. Why don't you come over for dinner some time and we'll ask you questions and help you think through the matter?" Let's hope we can get them over! (And if anybody needs a part-time, late night job in the Falls, let me know.)

After my coffee time with the young waiter this morning, I swung by Gents Barbershop on Main St. for my monthly high and tight from Nick Papageorgio. He's married to a woman who grew up in a Dutch Reformed church in Oostburg, but they no longer attend a church. We always have a good chat when I come in, and he cuts the hair of a lot of the friends I have made in the community. Today, he announced after my trim that the haircut was on the house. It's the small things. Awesome barber.

Tonight, we had dinner with our young neighbor friends and their little boy (a year older than ours). Our boy was wired and running around everywhere and casually rode a car down a stairwell, which ended with strewn car parts and a boy on his back at the bottom. Despite the distraction and stress that his antics caused, we had a surprisingly substantive conversation with our friends. We learned about their Lutheran and Catholic upbringings (largely cultural and nominal), and their subsequent interest in Christianity now (she is taking membership classes at a Lutheran church). They said that they were interested in reading the Bible, but didn't have one. My wife will make sure they get both a regular Bible and a children's Bible in short order.

By the way, I inquired about a leadership position with Toastmasters if there was need, and I got this response from one of the leaders: You are exactly the kind of person who exudes Toastmaster leadership, a generous spirit, a willingness to engage, and an overall aptitude for fun.

I sometimes feel like a blur of energy out in the community and am often second-guessing things I say and do. This bit of encouragement goes a long way, by God's grace.

Finally, a shout out concerning my lovely wifey: This past weekend, we hosted three couples for dinner on Good Friday before I preached. We also hosted two couples and a single lady for Easter dinner. Alongside preparing these meals, my wife cooked lamb for the first time, made carrot cake and coffee cake from scratch, painted our dining room (for fun!!!), mothered two children, and worked on several articles. She is crazy and I love her for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment