26.5.13

A Rock and A Hard Place

An officer used this common phrase with me yesterday to describe a predicament he was in. It is apropos as an analogy for much of the work of a chaplain. I endeavor to help mark ethical distinctions in objective hues of black and white when possible, but often, I must wade through a sea of subjective gray.

One case in point: A soldier who may or not be mission-capable at this point. The CDR (commander) is dubious and relies upon my insights, knowing that including a non-capable soldier could endanger this soldier as well as others. The soldier confides in me with regard to his hopes and fears. It is humiliating to be put off of a deployment roster. The CDR requires my objective analysis; the soldier, my subjective empathy and care. Now put me in a situation where I am meeting to face-to-face with both of these parties, as well as several other high ranking officers. These types of dilemmas generally find a healthy resolution, but not without fear, prayer, and dependence upon the Lord for wisdom.

May I be humbled through these situations and remember that true light comes through God's Word alone. When situations fall far from the direct pale of God's broad principles, I must rely upon the glow of Spirit-infused wisdom that sets upon the heart and mind of the sinner saved by grace through faith in Christ.