4.9.13

Moving

By the end of the month, I'll be moving to a sister post in the same region of the country. A good number of my soldiers here are disappointed, especially the friend with whom I room.

My emotions are more mixed. As I've learned in the States and in Africa, I must be ready and willing to joyfully call any place home. Here are the perks and drawbacks of the move, which will hopefully give you all a better mental picture of my present and future work:

Drawbacks:
1) Leaving behind about 40% of my unit. I have visited all of them several times a week in their places of work since we first arrived. They know to expect me (and my candy).
2) Leaving behind several ongoing counseling cases, which are among my most vital labors.
3) Leaving behind my morning chapel service after getting through just a chapter of a series through Philippians. I joke that this is becoming a pattern. When I finally decided it was safe to assume that I wouldn't be deployed, I started a series on James at church, only to be cut off after a chapter. Sheesh!
4) Leaving behind a Bible study with several committed attenders, including my activist friend.
5) Leaving behind my deeper relationships. An enduring (prayer) need of the pastor/chaplain is to find a few deep friendships where he is not "on." I can easily seclude myself in my sociability.
6) Leaving behind my new post "Run Master" role, just after assuming the responsibility (and joy).
7) Leaving behind the few trees and places of shade in Afghanistan.
8) Leaving behind a nice office in which I had invested many hours to make hospitable.

Perks:
1) Moving forward to about 50% of my unit (plus an additional 5% who are moving with me). I have missed these soldiers greatly, as I have only visited them twice. I haven't even met many of our international soldiers over there. There also seems to be more morale issues over there, as many of these soldiers are involved in direct training/advising, and some have come under fire.
2) As a result, moving forward to more fruitful counseling, visitation, and evangelistic opportunities.
3) Moving forward to another chapel service and Bible study (hopefully).
4) Moving forward to new opportunities to form deep friendships, and hopefully some that prove convicting and encouraging at the core spiritual level.
5) Moving forward to a location with more room to run outdoors, and hopefully a new opportunity to become a post "Run Master" and organize events.
6) Moving forward to a place with more material resources (larger PX), shops, and fast food.

Ultimately, while I am sad to leave behind relationships and services, I can readily see the opportunity for a greater impact at the place where I am going. I can travel back here on occasion (hopefully more frequently than I traveled to the new location), and hopefully keep me counseling cases going, even if less frequent. May God grant me wisdom so I may approve what is excellent!