7.11.13

Ragnar Ahead

Ragnar put out a blog post on our upcoming race: http://blognar.ragnarrelay.com/2013/11/operation-ragnar-afghanistan-the-ultimate-team-captain/#comment-1081

As one might expect, there are a lot of last minute hiccups. One of my team's top runners through out his back, so we have to scratch him and cover his legs. Also, most of our IN Guard guys just got assigned to duties over the next couple of days, which might take them out of action. In many ways, this could prove a repeat of the Ragnar I did with family and friends several years ago, where 8-9 people will be expected to cover the whole distance.

On the bright side, just like several years ago, such a difficulty often brings the remaining team members together, knowing that they are reliant on each other to make it to the finish line as a team. Each team will likely be affected by the anticipated losses, which means all of them will be pulling together and developing strategies to cover the now unoccupied legs.

Right now, I am slated to run the fourth most mileage of our runners--26 total. I have a feeling that I will end up running 30-35. I hope that my health continues to improve. I have been hovering at between 40-60% of my typical strength/health, cutting all workout, eating less than half of what I normally do, and sleeping quite a bit more than normal. Today, I feel about 70%, am eating better (though without appetite), and feel more prepared to run.

This actually reminds me of life post-Ragnar two years ago. After running up a sweat in an early-morning run, I ate a 2am dinner in a freezing cold cafeteria. Pretty soon, I had extreme chills and ended up falling asleep in one our vans, still feeling the chill. Within a day or two, I was running a a temperature of 103-104 and my wife had to take half a day off of work to navigate Army healthcare in order to get me a doctor's appointment.

By God's grace, I bounced back a few days later to run my fastest marathon up until that point (Harper's Ferry/Antietam, which was beautiful). I'm hoping for a similar bounce tomorrow.

This likely won't be a cozy run either. We have experience the cold drizzle for several days now and it doesn't look like it will let up. All of these factors combined will require a great reservoir of resiliency by our participating soldiers. I have no doubt that they will rise to the challenge.

Unfortunately, I will not be waiting at the finish line with the rest of my team. I will need to leave a hour or two before that point to visit some of my soldiers in a different part of the country, conduct chapel services, and provide a prayer for a dual American-Canadian Memorial Day ceremony. After spending several days at that point, I will travel to my old post to visit with soldiers and provide a prayer for a change-of-command ceremony.

Ultimately, if my health recovers in the next couple of days, it will not have anything to do with remaining stationary! What a powerful reminder that God alone sustains my health.

(Prepare for another illness-induced flashback.) This reminds me a bit of life in Malawi this past summer. When the wifey and I arrived at JTW's home base of Dzuwa, the former witchcraft stronghold, I inexplicably fell ill. I had no idea what I had, but all of my natural energy reserves were gone. I would go with the wifey to encourage and pray with folks, then return to my bed where I'd quickly collapse.

On and on this illness continued, showing that God's strength alone sustained me as I gave lectures and seminars at the JTW-sponsored Missions Conference. His providence was also on display as the wifey, in her first time in this foreign and rustic environment, was forced to step up and lead. She would initiate conversations and engagements with other people and would drag me along. Placed in perhaps the weakest situation in her life, God's strength was magnified through her beautifully.

As we boarded the plane to come home, I looked worse for the wear. Yet, in the claustrophic cabin of that international flight, every bit of whatever afflicted me broke. When we landed, I felt perfectly fine for the first time in over a week.

Our health, like our lives, are sustained by a million strings, including doctors, medicines, etc. But every string is tied to the finger of God. If He, in His good providence, decides to loose the strings from His grip, all the medical care will be for naught. I am grateful that the God who sustains me is both omnipotent and benevolent to His creatures.