22.12.13

Random (Positive) Tidbits

The advantage of a regular, introspective blog--like a journal--is that it is easy to look over past writings and note both their tone and the heart behind them. I don't know if you've noticed, but much of my writing has cast a much darker hue than it did originally. Knowing this, I would like to highlight several positives from this past week.

Two of my soldiers welcomed new babies into the world. Justice and his wife welcomed their fourth child; Antwone and his girlfriend welcomed their first. In fact, Antwone's baby was born just a little while ago and he has been aglow ever since. In an culture that tends to disparage children, it is wonderful to see these daddy-hearts toward these precious little ones.

I preached twice today--once for the regular traditional service, then soon after as a guest preacher for the Gospel service. Whether it is a result of my diverse upbringing or my animated personality, I tend to feel more comfortable in Gospel-type services. It makes me excited to do pulpit supply at our predominantly black, soon-to-be church plant in Gaithersburg.

It looks as though the engagement will fall through for the soldier with whom I was conducted relationship counseling. This was somewhat expected, as it seemed his fiancee had given up. Nothing spells the end of a relationship like one party decided he/she doesn't need/want help.

On the bright side, I was working with this soldier to get himself right spiritually during this process. When he called me up last night to tell me that the relationship was likely over, he told me that his grief was accompanied by a great sense of peace. He is drawing closer to the Lord, and that is the most important thing. He is reading some materials I gave him and came to chapel this morning.

I will continue to counsel him, not on reconciling a relationship, but on how to care for and be a good friend to the mother of his child, how to be a better father, and most importantly, how to find his identity and purpose in the saving work of Jesus Christ.

I also met a JAG a few weeks ago who has joined the choir I helped set up for our Christmas Eve service. I ran into her at Operation Outreach (our volunteer/service organization) this afternoon, and discovered that she grew up in the RPCNA (a Psalm-singing only, sister denomination). She went to Hillsdale College, and her denomination would have gatherings at Calvin College every couple of years.

She has also disavowed the faith as a result of her struggles with theodicy (the justification of God in the light of evil). I told her that I love talking matters of theodicy. I hope that in these final weeks that I am here, God will grant me opportunities to wrestle with this gal on this difficult subject and draw her back to the throne of grace, where such struggles find their resolution.

Finally, I continue my reputation as the "singing chaplain" at our Operation Outreach events (twice a week). My walking jukebox includes classic Christmas hymns, Usher, Outkast, Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, N'Sync, and R. Kelly, amongst others. I can no longer attend these events without people asking "Why aren't you singing, chaplain?" I heard several other people singing while working today as well, and hope that the bug is catching. We shall see!