12.1.14

Chick-Fil-A and a Piano

But not both at the same time.

Thinking of things I look forward to when I return home. This is where owning a home close to Chick-Fil-A pays huge dividends. I have no choice but to pass the home of the world's best chicken on my way home. And I'll still be wearing my uniform, which means that the nice folks there will give me half off the price.

And someday I really want a piano. I've hardly touched even a keyboard on this deployment, but if people realized how often I played piano/keyboard just for fun and as a devotional exercise, they'd see the urgent need for a piano. By urgent, I mean after a few years of saving money and owning a bigger house.

I played worship songs on the keyboard at the post chapel for over an hour today. The pedal didn't work, so everything was staccato. Makes me feel like I'm praising God using techno.

About ten soldiers or so joined me for cappuccinos and croissants this morning, which were both delicious! I couldn't get my hands on Lone Survivor for tonight's movie night, but some 15 soldiers (including our commander) joined me for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug and a few stayed around to watch Anchorman 2. I hope to find a black market copy of LS tomorrow for another movie night (such movies are legal for those deployed overseas).

Now I'm going to go enjoy some midnight chow at the Coalition DFAC and try some interesting British deserts alongside some Twinings tea, again with a handful of my soldiers. If only quality time came this easy during the meat of the deployment!