28.12.15

Resting in Christ



In God's providence, He makes me take my own medicine after I offer it to others.

Just yesterday, I preached on the importance of resting by faith, just as much as walking by faith. There are times when we simply need to be reminded of the completed work of Christ and its ongoing effects so that we might find comfort in overwhelming situations.

This morning, I realized that someone from the community had left me a voicemail while I was preaching. The man said he met me at a political event (packages for soldiers) where I offered a prayer. He said that he and his wife really needed by help, preferably before the evening (that was last evening!).

I panicked. I was watching my boy while my wife was working out. I couldn't even call the man back. While I was listening to the voicemail, my boy wanted my attention. I grew frustrated at my smart phone for not letting me know I had a voicemail, my own negligence for not checking my voicemail yesterday, and my little boy for wanting my attention when there was a pressing matter I needed to address.

When my wife came home, I was high-strung, irritable, and ready to race out the door to go to work at church. I needed to take my own medicine.

First, resign the things you can't control. You don't invest too much thought or feeling into circumstances you can't change. You have to seek contentment in such things, and focus on circumstances you can change.

Second, do this by seeing the big picture. God is sovereign (all-controlling) over all circumstances. His total control and His perfect character--most clearly manifested in the person and work of Christ--is the basis for your contentment.

Third, taking responsibility for the things you can control. You must give your "yesterdays" to the Lord and offer yourself to Him today. In this case, I needed to call the man as soon as I was able, apologize for missing his call, and ask if I could be of service.

By God's grace, the man was gracious and asked if I could visit with he and his wife tomorrow morning. I enthusiastically said "Yes!" The added perk--I get to enjoy driving by the Wisconsin snow-scape!

Before I walked through this process, I was a mess--and I spilled onto other people and things. In submitting to God's sovereignty, resigning the things I couldn't control and taking responsibility for the things I could--I found peace and a measure of the rest that Christ alone affords.

1 comment:

  1. I expect you still carry regret (guilt?) about not being able to connect w Serpa that played into your anxiety as well. Xxoo

    ReplyDelete