15.7.13

Beauty Abounds

I'm finally here. Over a decade has passed since I first tried to enlist.

In that time, I finished college, attended and graduated seminary, began a lifelong love affair with Malawi, got married to my dear bride, worked on Capitol Hill, was ordained and called by a church, set into an Army unit, and most recently, celebrated the birth of my precious son. I have enjoyed a lifetime of blessings already.

Like our stopover point, my new location reminds me of Malawi. From the warm, gentle breeze to the barren mountains to the kind locals. As my wife often reminds me, I tend to love most new opportunities put before me. I can call anywhere home, even in the middle of a war environment.

I especially enjoy places that stretch and challenge me. I know my own heart and how it responds to comfort--and I don't like it. I quickly become self-absorbed and complacent. That is a sanctification issue for me. As my friend, Fletcher, once reminded me, I should give thanks in all circumstances, even if the level of comfort is not to my liking. I was drawn away from training in the California desert last summer to spend several days in San Francisco at a hospital with a possibly-ailing soldier. Most soldiers were jealous. I was jealous to return to the desert and spend time with the soldiers.

The post here is very nice, as a soldier might expect after over a decade of development. I am surrounded by soldiers from all of the major components of the US military, as well as soldiers and contractors from dozens of nations around the world. How cool is that? I could never afford to travel to all of these countries and visit people. Now, if I want to learn more about Australia, Canada, the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Mongolia, El Salvador, Romania, etc--I can just ask!

There is always an element of risk out here. I'm relatively safe inside the post, there are semi-frequent attacks in the city and always the risk of IEDs with traveling. May this risk, however minor, be used to make me spiritually vigilant, as well as physically and emotionally. As John Piper titled a recent book, Risk is Right. My life is not my own. It was given me for a number of God-appointed days, to be used in His service. A little bit of suffering, whether external or internal, is what humbles me and reminds me of that fact. It also reminds of what Jesus Christ endured for me in an utterly unique way. I may be called to take up my cross, but I will never need bear it for my sins or others, as my great Savior from sin did, with mingled sorrow and love.

Prayer Requests:
1) For the political storm above me to cease. There are some chaplains and commanders stateside who are up in arms because my unit brought a chaplain without an assistant. It has caused stress for my CDR and several others, and makes me a point of contention, rather than service. Please pray for quick resolution!

2) To settle into a battle rhythm and serve. Right now, my time is crammed with briefs and other prep work, which makes intentional time with soldiers much more difficult.

3) For private space. I sleep on a top bunk in the middle of an open bay filled with soldiers. I have nowhere to retreat to time with the Lord in solitude. Please pray for this simple grace and source of refreshment.

4) That I would be poured out for the sake of the Christ, to whom I owe all of my life.

Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God. This is your spiritual act of worship. (Rom. 12:1)