17.12.13

Without Rest Pt.4

4

            I miss my Baby. He died a year before I found out about my cancer. I think he knew—he always had such a sad expression on his droopy face. Those big black eyes bore into me. They knew the secrets of my heart. They grieved those secrets. Poor, loving dog.
            Another of life’s (or death’s) ironies: Baby died of cancer. The same faithful friend who could spring into my arms without a moment’s hesitation could not even stand up in his last days. At least Baby could still bark and move his head.
            I know Baby was just a dog, not a person. I understand that there’s a difference. But he was my Baby. We had chosen each other, were committed to each other. He would guard me from unknown dangers; I would cuddle him into the night. I would love him if he could not protect me. He would love me even if lacking the tender affection.
            I felt like I had betrayed him. I watched him like a hawk as the light of life slowly escaped his eyes. As, over the course of months, he drank suffering down to its deathly dregs. His eyes always had the look of pleading. Help me! You picked me up from the earth. Don’t let me descend back to it.
            Perhaps that’s how my dad feels when he looks at me. He cried very little before my cancer. Even less now. He never told me so, but I know he decided early on that he would have to be strong for both of us. I don’t know what to think of that. I have needed that cool wit and firm grasp, but should not some territory of the heart be ceded to authentic grief? There is a fine line between encouragement and empathy. He has tried.
            Yet I hear him in those rare times when he is not near. I hear his muffled cries and desperate prayers: Why God? Why her and not me? It reminds me a bit of that famous prayer from the cross, Why have you forsaken me? The old preacher used to say that Jesus was forsaken so that those he loved would join him in paradise. But why has God forsaken me?
            This is the question that gnaws at my dad. If he could, he too would bare the thorns and nails so that he could bend back the bars of death and allow me to pass through. But instead, he must watch the light of life pass from his baby’s eyes. He is a willing sacrifice without an altar to lie upon.
            I open my eyes and find the weary, bloodshot eyes of my dad gazing upon me. I watch him as he pours himself a rum and coke. That’s his favorite for nights like these. The caffeine vivifies the senses. The rum numbs the heart. He suddenly catches his breath and shoots a knowing look at me. My heart jumps. My body would also if it could.
            He quickly strolls from the room and I hear bumping and scraping extending from his bedroom, through the center hallway, out into the living room. He comes back a moment later with an armful of paintings. He knows how I fixate on those color-saturated landscapes.
            The first one he shows me is of a small lake. In the heart of the lake, a grove of trees rest upon a small island. Neither the leaves nor the water are disturbed by wind or rain. Between the island and shoreline, a small fishing boat with two indistinct passengers sits upon the still water. Those blurry figures are me and my dad.
            And I am transported to the scene. I feel the slight humidity in the air as I lean back upon the side of the boat. Dad? (I can talk!) Dad, do you ever wonder what life would have been like without the wind? He looks from the water to me. “I do. I have lived for these moments of serenity with you. I would have taken the storms myself.”
            The scene around me goes dark and I am back in my room. My dad is staring intently at me and whispering (praying?). He sees that I have emerged from that picture and shows me another. It is a small, lighted home amidst a dark, snowy night. Through the window, you can faintly see a smiling old man and a decorated tree.
            My feet crunch on the snow and I near the doorway and gently knock. My dad, rosy-cheeked and gleeful, turns the latch and welcomes me in. The room swims with warmth and the mingled smells of pine and turkey engulf me. I look over at the expansive tree and see a single ball hanging from its sturdiest branch. My throat constricts and I choke out “Daddy.”
            Dad, that tree will look naked and empty without that ball there. What will you do in coming years without it? “That ball is not coming down, my dear, nor will that tree ever be moved. You may fade from this picture, but my love for you will not fade. Love is strong as death.” And with that, the crackling fire in the hearth is snuffed out.
            I once again lock eyes with my dad, but his cheeks are drawn pale and thin, and there is not the least hint of laughter. He reads my return in my eyes and proceeds to show a final, very normal painting: Two people, holding hands upon a hillside, looking up at a starry sky. And I find myself upon a bed of lush grass.
            I whimper a little. Daddy, I’m scared. The millions of stars are breathtaking when I can feel your hand and hear you breathe. But what will happen when it’s just me and the darkness with no hand to hold onto? “Kayla Joy, I am not giving you up. I am giving you away. You will have another hand to take. Peace, little lamb.”
            I drifted off briefly. I awake and every point of my body is filled with pain and decay, but I have peace. I hear the steady din of rain upon the roof and wind upon the windows. My peace is invaded by a profound sense of loss. I miss the rain, wind, and natural elements as I miss Baby. I feel them slipping away too.
            My dad, on cue, seems to read my unspoken thoughts, walks over to the window and opens it. In a dramatic gesture, he also kicks out the screen. I feel small drops of rain as the breeze carries them upon me. I notice several small branches of a tree swinging back and forth according to nature’s music. A hundred small globes of water hang from the fingers of the branches, dropping and breaking in turn.
            “I bet you enjoy that,” Papa chuckled as he sat back down and dabbed a few drops from my eyes. I do not begrudge the world for its continued vitality as you might think. The living curse the world for its callousness toward the dead. The dead do no such thing. They cling to it, embrace it, love it.

            The old preacher once said that this world is not our home. We’re just passing through. But one day, when all is made right, it will be our home. I sure hope he is right.