1.1.14

Book Bonanza

My wife and I had many expectations for this deployment--some dealing with grim realities and others dealing with unique opportunities. We did not expect that one of our opportunities would concern quantity of reading. My wife read 36 books this year, due in part to work assignments, a desire to learn more about parenting, downtime while feeding the boy, and a general lack of sleep.

I have read about 50 books this year, due in large part to the need to unwind from long days and a lack of distractions when that downtime does come. In addition, because I providentially received a Nook as a perk to buying my laptop, I could take an array of books with me wherever I went. Every location I flew to, every line I waited in, I was always prepared. When we were mobilizing in Texas and soldiers were complaining of boredom, I was known to break out the line "That's why I have a Nook."

The most recent addition was all 4800 pages or so of the Game of Thrones series, which I read during the month of December. I will offer an inevitably insufficient review for the books soon.

While it is hard to tally an exact number of books read, here are most of the books I read this year (not including the books I started but haven't finished or ones I am currently reading; books of 800+ pages in bold):

Fiction
The Maze Runner (4 books) by James Dashner
Game of Thrones (5 books) by George R.R. Martin
Earth Afire--prequel to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Earth Unaware--prequel to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
One Second After by William Forschen
Tiger's Claw by Dale Brown
World War Z by Max Brooks
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
A Time for Patriots by Dale Brown
Marine One by James W. Huston
Falcon Seven by James W. Huston

History
WWII Liberation Trilogy (3 books) by Rick Atkinson
Gettysburg by Allen Guelzo
Vietnam (History in an Hour)
The Lower River (Malawi) by Paul Thereau
Escape from Sobibor by Richard Raske
Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly
No True Glory: Battle for Fallujah by Bing West
They Fought for Each Other (Iraq) by Kelly Kennedy
World War Two (History in an Hour)
The Cold War (History in an Hour)
World War One (History in an Hour)
Flight of the Eagle by Conrad Black
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Biography
Adoniram Judson by John Piper
John Calvin by John Piper
Lone Survivor (Afghanistan) by Marcus Luttrell
The Warm Heart (Malawi) by Kevin Denny
Tortured for Christ by Richard Wumbrand
Faith Under Fire (Iraq) by Roger Benimoff
Martin Luther by John Piper
Portrait of Calvin by T.H.L. Parker
John Paton by John Piper
David Brainerd by John Piper

Philosophy/Politics
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Constitutional Conservatism by Peter Berkowitz

Psychology/Fitness
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman
Love's Executioner by Irvin Yalom

Theology/Christian
Real Scandal of the Evangelical Mind by Carl Trueman
The Christian Life by Sinclair Ferguson
Risk is Right by John Piper
Dangerous Calling by Paul David Tripp
Vintage Jesus by Mark Driscoll