9.7.13

The Clock Strikes Midnight

I figured I would post once more, knowing that this may be my last opportunity for a bit...

I confess that I feel the gravity of this occasion, which means that I do not proceed in a haphazard manner. Yet, more than the gravity of this occasion, I feel the weight of my calling. While my calling ultimately is derived from my assurance in God's gracious providence, it is also affirmed by outward means.

My commander--the same one who gave me a counseling statement several days ago--singled me out yesterday in a meeting with our warrant officers as one who is always growing, and described me as an excellent chaplain. Not long after, two separate soldiers stopped me to let me know that my positive attitude was contagious and did a lot for their own morale as well as others.

I know my frailties intimately and my sin in all of its ugliness is always before my eyes, yet I rest content knowing that my life and calling are held in the hand of my Good Shepherd. My God works in me to will and work in accordance with His good pleasure. Even as I'm chastened in my sin, I find not only rest but renewed vigor for this walk of faith in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I assure all of you that no matter what I face, and no matter how I struggle and suffer in God's wise providence, that I will flash this goofy, God-sustained smile upon my return:




With Love and Affection in Jesus Christ,
Stephen