9.7.13

The Countdown

Well, after lots of working and waiting, the final countdown has begun.

The suspense is building for the soldiers. Some look forward to getting into the fight and the cause it represents; many look forward to escaping the monotony of this current phase and getting to work; all look forward to being one step closer to coming home to their families.

For me, there is an anticipation of finally being where I have long felt called to be. I have loved this country and admired her soldiers for as long as I can remember.  When I tried to enlist after 9/11, it was not only because my family were some of those walking out of DC on foot, but also because the country and ideals I revered were under attack.  I want my children to inherit the precious freedoms and responsibilities I inherited, enshrined in the most ingenious governing documents crafted in the history of mankind.

While I didn’t ultimately enlist just after 9/11, I admired my brother, who had enlisted and ended up serving in Iraq. His experience was a poor one, negatively affected by the same military he pledged to serve. This only tightened my resolve to one day join that same military and care for the soldiers who might slip through the cracks or suffer abuse at the hands of the corrupt.

My hero, Machen, served in the YMCA during WWI. He was greatly disheartened by the false hope often given to soldiers by a corroded chaplaincy. We are not to trust in our own sacrifice at the portal of death, he would argue, but trust in the sacrifice of Christ on the cross for sinners. My hope and prayer is that on this deployment, regardless of who embraces this hope (which is in the hands of the sovereign God), that the hope of Christ is at least ringing in every set of ears of the men and women that God has entrusted to me.

I am incredibly proud of the soldiers that I am serving with. I know the price that many have paid in previous deployments to ransom our country from the threat of tyranny. I know the price that all our paying now, missing precious moments with precious people to help secure a more precious future.

I am proud to be an American. Not because we are a superior race of people as some might arrogantly believe, but because we are melting pot of people from all over the world, bound my certain ideals. What other country is identified by ideals rather than a particular people group? This is reflected in the diversity of the military. Here, the formerly racist white soldier from the boonies and the formerly racist black soldier from the projects serve back-to-back, fiercely loyal to one another. Outside of the church, there is no institution greater than the military at uniting all types of people in one common goal.


And it is with this institution—this force of sacrificial patriots who will stand in the gap and stare tyranny and terror in the eye that it may never reach our precious land—that I gratefully serve.