21.9.13

Random Notes

Earlier today, I got word that the outpost I visited a few days back had an insider attack. I called my soldiers there and got word that they were safe and accounted for. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for three other soldiers: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/afghan-security-forces-uniform-turns-gun-kills-three-131230896.html. When I was there a few days ago, my soldiers noted that things seemed "too quiet." This is another reminder that even in the present lull before our departure, we must remain vigilant. This is also another reminder to pray for our soldiers, particularly for three families whose worlds were changed today.

On a related note, at my new post, most of my soldiers directly advise their Afghan counterparts on a daily basis (this is presently one of the more dangerous jobs because of the possibility of an insider attack). One of my new responsibilities will be to patrol the motor pool while these many dozens of soldiers prepare their vehicles, and then pray with them before they leave. In particular, I will pray with one team tomorrow that has come under constant fire at their distant location, which is in enemy country. Please pray for their continued safety.

The command chaplain here happily handed the reigns over to me for tomorrow's traditional chapel service. I look forward to the new venue! I also have reserved a weekly slot for my No BS BS, which will track with a DVD series by Mark Driscoll called "Vintage Jesus."

One of the things I enjoy at this new post (besides the renewal of dozens of friendships) is the vast number of international soldiers attached to this unit (we only had a few left at the old post). I have already met a substantial number of Canadians, Aussies, and Turks. I have also befriended a Romanian soldier through the initiative of one of my soldiers. I also am becoming friends with my command chaplain.

I have brought a number of my running initiatives over here. Now that I am in a much larger post, I tried to run the Army Ten Miler on the gravel paths that run along the outer walls. Gravel really slows you down! As the sun set, I decided to take the last half of the run to the treadmill. I think I will be able to recruit a couple dozen more of my soldiers to participate in the half marathon series. Woopee!

Please pray that God would quickly deepen (or re-deepen) my friendships with these soldiers. I cannot as easily transition into weighty discussions of spiritual matters like I could with the more established and maintained friendships at my old post. And as always, pray that in my Spirit-sustained service and sin-induced stumbling, Christ would be magnified before the eyes of a watching and broken people!