6.12.13

More Random Tidbits

I coordinated a race from scratch today in order to clear some of my extra race swag out of my broom closet/office. For every five laps run around our motor pool track, a runner was given a prize (quality of prize increased with the laps). In between each lap, the runners also had to complete fitness events--push-ups, sit-ups, or pull-ups.

Even though we only had forty or so participants, the race was a success. People loved the format, and it was not timed, so people could pace themselves and enjoy the people around them. Many of the runners also went longer than they anticipated. Broken into bite sizes like it was, the race lost all power of intimidation. By the end, a number of semi-fit runners had run twenty laps (ten miles), done 160 push-ups, 120 sit-ups, and 32 pull-ups.

One male soldier and female marine from my unit had initially called it quits after fifteen laps as they had planned. They stood there for a moment, then looked at each other in a gesture of unspoken agreement. They put their belongings back down and ran the full twenty. One airman from my unit finished a lap before another airman from my unit. He ran a twenty first lap, keeping pace with his fellow airman. I am always so proud of these folks when I see these moments.

This race started at 0600 and I got up at 0515 to get it set up. We had cases of bottles of imitation Gatorade, dozens of mats on the ground for the push-ups and sit-ups, a large box of granola bars, and swag aplenty to reward the runners.

Good thing I had my coffee in hand. I had a short night's sleep due to the lures of the second Game of Thrones book. I would need two more cups later in the day to keep this choo-choo on the tracks. One cup I shared with my buddy, Megan, who has returned from the States to do good financial work for the military and to continue to add Gospel-centered heft to conversations and Bible studies. We met at my old post, where I was also able to visit with many of the my soldiers over the course of another hour or two.

The other cup was shared with my seminary-bound buddy, Steve, back here at my current post, as I continued to disciple him through Dangerous Calling and hearty discussions on the Christian faith and the ministry. I was glad to see my best buddy from each post in the same day. By the way, I call Steve "Double Dollar," because his initials are S.S. and if Keisha can use a dollar sign in her name, Steve sure as heck can dollar signs for his initials.

I closed the work day today by visiting most of my soldiers around the post with a bag of candy in one hand and a birthday card for a soldier in the other. If I never see another piece of candy after this deployment, I'll be so happy. Most soldiers are in the same boat. Whoever these purveyors of candy are--the reactions they have provoked will be most beneficial to soldiers. Their gums and guts thank you. People rarely take candy from me anymore. I use it more as an icebreaker. If I can, I'll toss a baggy of candy to a soldier and walk off before they can turn it down, or I'll leave it on a desk when someone isn't around.

A giant 9x6 banner of the Las Vegas Ragnar Relay now hangs in our half-hangar-sized Cross Fit gym. It is a banner of pride, displayed before our soldiers until they are brought home.

I am plotting my next run in the same vein as this morning's run. This is not due as much to popular acclaim as it is to the fact that I brought more leftover race swag back from my old post. I tried to clear my office of such swag early this morning. The night closes with boxes overflowing. And we have come full circle.