21.1.14

A Veteran

We turned in a bunch of equipment today and endured hours of briefs.

The focus of these briefs was upon the benefits to which veterans entitled. Partway through one of these briefs, LT Archie turned to me and said "I can't believe I'm a veteran. I'm too young!"

I have the same feeling. When I think of veterans, I think of aged WWII vets, Vietnam vets in leather jackets, and Iraq/Afghanistan vets who are missing limbs. I don't think of myself.

But, after doing the obligatory pile of paperwork, I can go to my local VA center and get medical care by taking advantage of my status as a veteran. That's crazy!

I am honored to be regarded as a veteran, though I think of myself as less of one who served than as a servant of our servants. May their sacrifices be lifted high!

While the worst seems over, remember what a foreign situation I will be walking into when I arrive home. Many thoughts and emotions have been carefully managed and suppressed by me and my long-suffering wife in order to endure this ordeal. When I get home, a new battle begins--one to take every thought captive for Christ, and that will be a substantial battle.

Thank God that ultimate victory is guaranteed in Christ and the labor we do here and now is not to determine the outcome, but to play our part in seeing through what has already been ordained. In that larger picture, there is joy, even in the more difficult of journeys.