5.1.14

Have You Seen My Soldier?

What a waste!

I found out two items of bad news this morning:

First, one of my former soldiers back home earned his green beret. Great news, right? Well, he subsequently partied and got alcohol poisoning and died. This kid was one of two soldiers representing our unit in the Army Reserve Best Warrior Competition when I first arrived. He was well on his way to having an illustrious Army career.

Moderation in drinking isn't only a matter of biblical principle of Christians, it is also a point of wisdom for all people. Ad campaigns generally only touch drinking and driving and don't touch upon the irresponsibility of getting drunk, period. It's all fun and games until someone wakes up in a bed with a stranger, finds a couple of teeth missing from a fight, awakes in a hospital after getting their stomach pumped, or dies.

This kid could have been a hero. He lost it all without even firing his weapon.

Second, one of my soldiers who redeployed in November is missing: http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/annapolis/police-seek-information-to-help-find-missing-annapolis-man/article_8284bc45-3d32-5fdf-9bfd-699b91b2fada.html.

I hope and pray that this soldier is safe and well. I have done a couple of dozen funerals and picked him up/dropped him off at his home in Annapolis for one of them. God willing, his funeral will not be my next.